When the process requires reduced levels of salts in the industrial water supply it is advisable to further purify the feed water by demineralization using resin beds or reverse osmosis.
- Reverse Osmosis Demineralization: This membrane technique makes possible the reduction of minerals in the water. It has the advantage of not using regenerating products (acid and bases). KPE has developed a whole range of osmosis equipment, which makes it possible to meet and optimize the needs of industry.
Reverse osmosis provides a simple solution of energy saving by the important reduction of the volume of purges necessary for the functioning of the steam generators. Purges of boilers fed with soft water generally range from 10 to 25% and sometimes more, are reduced to 1%.
Reverse osmosis thus allows improving the energy ratio of the boiler with a return on investment often less than 18 months.
Key characteristics of the process are:
- water produced with a conductivity of between 0,055 - 0,5 µS/cm and with a silica content of less than 5 ppb,
- can provide a continuous flow of purified water with a water flush rate as low as 5%,
- No requirement for expensive regeneration chemicals with the incumbent saving in cost and improvements in the environment and operator safety,
- simple to install and operate with low supervision cost.
- Ion Exchange Demineralization: While being based on the process of counter-current regeneration, this developed process is used which removes salts (and silica) by the provision of cationic and anionic resins (primary chain) and/or from mixed beds (final polishing).
The counter-current regeneration process presents many advantages in term of regenerating reagents consumption and quality of water produced:
- quality of the water produced with low conductivity and stable in time ;
- no suspension phase ;
- obtaining a water of constant quality over the duration of the cycle ;
- reduction in the volume of service water and thus in the volume of waste water ;
- reduction of the duration of regeneration and the quantity of reagents (-30 to 40%) ;
- reduction of the size of the installations.
- Deionizer: KPE two-bed deionizers are available as standard pre-engineered units or as custom designed systems with the flexibility to meet a wide range of requirements. These DI water systems can be manufactured with a full range of options and related equipment to provide fully integrated water purifications systems. Tanks range in size from 8" to 72" in diameter, with flows up to 220 gallons per minute. Our two bed deionizers are a highly efficient means of removing dissolved minerals and solids to produce high purity DI water.